Sunday, September 11, 2011

Destiny destroyed

Page 32

Fickle Finger of Fate

I had to restrain myself from running out the door and waiting for Debra on the street like the family dog waiting for her to come home from the vet with our cat who has just been declawed.
A foul and awesome display, now we are all son’s of bitches (Oppenheimer, after witnessing the first atom bomb).

Was this really going to go my way? Was I actually going to have a love interest go without a hitch? Just his once, Lord knows it would be the first time…
“Anna, when are you going to do this?” trying to sound placid.
“Uh, this weekend”
“Anna, why are you doing this?” I sat there very serious, containing any enthusaism.“ You and Debra have been together, what 6 years?”
“Four, almost five” She corrected me, it really did feel like more years than that. Hell, it seemed like 10 years in just the few weeks Debra has had her mitts on my life.
“Anyhow, Dianne, you know I have always loved Dian” Anna looked so serious, serene, happy. Or was I just THAT hopeful?
She went on to retell the same story of how she met Dian, how her parents tore them apart, how she wanted to pursue this for fear she would never have another chance. Then she explained how Debra is very “butch”, not her type. I felt the need to jump in and defend Debra like she was my long standing love, but suppressed the urge in favor of keeping my life, and having a potential, almost guiit free weekend with Debra.

I asked all the right questions, she gave encouraging answers. Then.

“Di, I want to ask you to do me a favor” She stared directly into my green with guilt, green with envy eyes “You and Debra have gotten so close over the last few weeks, could you please be there for her when this all comes down?”
I swear, my dear, respected and revered, reading audience, that is exactly how it all went down.

I did everything I could to keep from dragging her luggage out and packing it for her.
I stood at the mirror, combing my hair, which didn’t need to be combed, but it was so much easier to gage Anna, without giving away my poker face.

The front door flew open and Devo came screaming and laughing down the hall, Debra chasing her, scooping her up in her arms and onto her shoulders.
“What are y’all so serious about?”
I engaged Debra’s stare, as I stood behind Anna. My eyes were bugging out of my head as I shook my head back and forth quickly to let her know there had been no great confession.
“I was just telling Dianne that I will be going to Austin this weekend” Anna stood up, bracing herself.
“Oh great, are we going to Lake Travis”
Debra, Anna, me , and her friend Melanie would go there on Melanie’s boat. We also would skinny dip there, as it is a pirvate, no clothes needed environment.pic_laketravis

Devon was still on Debra's shoulders.
“No, Debra…”
“Oh, are we going to schlitterbahn.?” This was a favorite of Debra’s, rafting down the river in New Braunfels.
“Debra!” Anna crossed her arms peered back at me with a brace yourself gaze. “Debra, I am going alone”
“Why?” Debra said this with a very quiet,condescending lilt to her voice.
“I am going there to meet up with Dian”

Debra stepped forward knocking Devo’s head on the top of the door frame. Anna ran behind her and caught Devo. Debra kept moving forward, without realizing she had probably given Devo a concussion, impervious to Devo's wailing. Was she in a state of shock? If she was, that made two of us, three if you want to count the poor child.
This was not how I pictured this to go.
It was like staring into a deep dark bottomless pit;

If you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss will stare into you. (Nechee)



Music Lady Gaga/Poker face

No comments:

Post a Comment